Ferns says that the government’s civil service reform plan is disappointing on many levels. She makes a number of proposals about what should be included in a strategy that would deliver sustainable reform.
She calls for:
- an evidence-based pay strategy to attract and retain the skills government needs
- bold action to encourage inter-departmental working
- more creative thinking from government about facilitating interchange between the public and private sectors
- trading funds which are subject to commercial disciplines and operate in competitive markets should not have their hands tied by the Treasury
- everyone working for central government needs to be given a clear message about their role and status.
- Read the full article on the Guardian Professional website.
- Prospect members are encouraged to sign up to the newspaper's public leaders' network.