Prospect members in Natural England have launched a campaign to highlight the threats facing their organisation and the valuable work it does.
They are calling for Natural England’s wide and important remit for people and nature to be properly recognised and funded. This is the only way to:
- restore and enhance the wider countryside and the marine environment
- help species to recover
- achieve favourable condition of protected sites
- improve access to, and enjoyment of, our wonderful natural environment
- ensure that the government’s 25-year environment plan has a chance of success.
Natural England and its staff have been undervalued and underfunded by government for too long. It’s time to reverse that trend. We are calling for:
- Natural England’s wide and important remit for people and nature to be properly recognised and funded
- its autonomy as a non-departmental public body to be meaningfully restored
- the damage caused by pay restraint to be reversed and pay progression, based on skills and competency, to be restored
- pay parity with the rest of the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, to no longer be covered by the civil service pay guidance and be subject to an independent pay review body.
Download our report, Stand up for Natural England, which:
- explains what Natural England does and why it matters
- sets out how it is funded, its 2018-19 budget cut and urgent fiscal shortfall
- the impact of budget cuts on its performance
- the threats to its independence and ability to fulfill its purpose
- the impact on staff.
Click an icon to download
Share our stats on social media