The department is responsible for overseeing the operation and regulation of the four principle transport modes: aviation, roads, rail and shipping.
Prospect represent specialists working right across the department. The department has a common staff handbook, albeit with certain agency variations, which covers all staff.
Pay negotiations take place across eight separate bargaining units, comprising the centre of the department and its seven executive agencies.
Most members work in five executive agencies and the core of the department as follows:
- Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency: vehicle and mechanical engineers
- Vehicle Certification Agency: vehicle and mechanical engineers
- Highways England: civil, mechanical and electrical/electronic engineers; horticulturists and environmental specialists; on-road traffic officers and managers, health and safety practitioners
- Maritime and Coastguard Agency: marine surveyors and marine engineers
- DfT(centre): specialists across a range of disciplines – marine, rail, aeronautical engineers and operational specialists, mechanical engineers, traffic modellers, press and communication specialists.
In addition, we have members who work in two of the other agencies:
Driving Standards Agency: driving examiners and other specialists
Government Car and Despatch Agency: operational supervisory and support staff.